Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Let's see: it's been just over a week since the new year started. Time to take a quick look at how I'm doing. That seems to be one of the keys to sticking with resolutions of any kind: check your progress often, before you've had time to fall way, way off your pace. As a teacher, I'm inclined to give grades for performance (but I will spare myself the red pen).

1) Weight: C

I'm hovering at the high end of the 170's right now, instead of at the low end where I'd rather be. I've eaten a few things that I shouldn't (I'm like Satchel that way), but mostly I've eaten OK. But I haven't shifted my metabolism back enough that it's making a difference yet. It's also amazing how my weight, fat percentage, and hydration vary between morning and evening. Last night when I weighed myself, I was 180 lbs with 36% body fat and 45% hydration (could just be water retention). This morning I was at 178 lbs with 39% body fat and 43% hydration. I really don't know how reliable the fat percentage and hydration levels are, but I record them faithfully anyway. And I am doing better about weighing myself more regularly. For a while there, I was only weighing myself once a week. That will work fine when I'm at my target weight, but I need to do it at least once daily until I reach my target.

2) Exercise: C

I'm definitely not back on my routine yet. Last week I only made it to the gym three times. I didn't get to the gym this weekend, but I did spend most of the day Saturday in my kayak, which meant I was exercising and not eating, a good combo. But Sunday was a football day spent on the couch. Made it to the gym yesterday morning but not yesterday afternoon. Took this morning off (I'm trying to get three mornings this week), so I absolutely must get a work out in between lacrosse and swimming practices this afternoon.

3) Grading: B

Yesterday was the first day any papers got handed in. They were handed in by only two of my five classes, and they were only worksheets that needed to be checked off for completion, but they were graded promptly. We'll see what happens when more worksheets get turned in today. Thankfully, this is a day where I have planning periods in the middle of the day, so I can check some worksheets after the first few classes and more at the end of the day (somewhere between lacrosse, working out, and swimming).

4) Blogging: B+

I'm already posting more than I have in a long time. They aren't interesting posts, but they are posts. Gotta be positive about something.

5) Organization: C

I'm making lists, which I always do, but I'm actually doing better about trying to accomplish things on the list, which I haven't really worried about before. However, I haven't started straightening my classroom or refiling all the papers that have stacked up on my desk, I haven't touched the scary mess in my house, and I haven't really even taken inventory of the things I NEED to straighten up. I guess that's the next list I need to make.

So I guess overall I'm looking at a C+ for my resolutions so far. Definitely room for improvement, but it's only the first week. I'll keep updating as my progress (or lack of) continues.

No comments: