Sunday, January 21, 2007

The football woes continue. My Chargers are out as of last week, and my husband's Eagles are out as well. So I focused my attention on the New Orleans Saints. They have two former Chargers on the team that I'm still fond of, and most of their players seem to be pretty good guys. The city of New Orleans, and really much of Louisiana, who have had such a terrible time in the aftermath of Hurrican Katrina, have really had their spirits lifted by the wonderful season of the Saints. They've had something to cheer about, as the successes of the Saints have rolled on. But I've just watched them be systematically taken apart by a dominating Chicago Bears defense in the NFC championship game. And so their magical season will come to an end.

It isn't that I dislike Chicago. I actually sort of like their team. I selected their defense as my first pick of our fantasy football league's draft, and they are a large reason I came in second overall. I remember the vaunted Bears' defense of my youth, and the Super Bowl shuffle and all that. So I'm OK with the Bears. But I had such high hopes for the Saints, since my own team got knocked out.

And it also worries me a little that the teams I like to root for are somehow jinxed in some way. Like my rooting for them is the sole reason they come up short. And I desperately want the Patriots to lose this next game against the Colts. Maybe I should root for the Pats...

No comments: