Friday, January 26, 2007

I've been pretty lazy this week; I'll admit it. I've only managed to make two morning workouts this week, Monday and Wednesday. This morning a headache drove back to bed for an hour and a half. Oh well. I'll try harder next week.

My eating hasn't been great either, but I'm keeping it mostly in check by only bringing enough to school for the day. If I binge and eat it all at once, well, it means I don't have anything to eat for the rest of the day. It seems to help. I just need to keep it up, and to watch out for those days that could cause me problems. We had cake served on Monday as a special treat, and I managed to avoid it completely. We have another cake day (I know, MY high school never gave us cake!) this Thursday, so I need to be ever vigilant and avoid the location they serve it from. It's a shame, too, because wherever they get these cakes, they are really good, with a cream cheese frosting between the layers. Yum!

Anyway, the damage from the week hasn't been that bad: last night I weighed in at 176 and this morning I was 175. I know the weigh-ins vary a lot from morning to night and from day to day, but I don't think my average for the week is that bad. I just need to really do a better job about getting to the gym.

I've been stymied in the afternoons about where and how to work out. I haven't figured out when our weight room at school is available--I've tried several times and found it either occupied or locked. I'm reluctant to go outside after lacrosse practice and run, either around the track or aroudn the neighborhood, because they lock the building for security reasons, and after about 4:30 in the afternoon it is really hard to find someone to let me back in. I'd hate to be locked out without my car keys and purse. I don't have any weights or anything in my classroom that I could use. That would have been a possibility, but now I don't really have the money to buy anything, and I don't have many weeks of swimming left anyway. Next week is the last week of our regular season, and the week after that is our league championship. After that, the only swimmers I'll have will be those who are attending the state championship meet at the end of February, and most of those swimmers do not practice with our high school team (long story). So there will be some days I may not have anyone coming to practice and I can go home after lacrosse.

I'm seriously considering making this my final season of coaching high school swimming. I've coached this particular team for three seasons, and another high school for the four years prior to this. During that time I've shown up to countless practices and not had any swimmers show up. It's incredibly frustrating, and compounded by the fact that I live 45 minutes away from where we practice. Swimming means late nights for me, and I only see my family for about 45 minutes before I'm ready for bed (that getting up at 4 thing doesn't help, either). I'm currently searching for other locations in town where we might practice earlier in the day, but it's not looking good. If I can't move practice earlier, I'm going to give it up. I just need to start thinking more about me and my family. It's not like I get paid well for this, anyway. But I will miss it if this is truly the end. I've coached swimming in some form or another for almost ten years, and I've been involved in swimming for over fifteen years. That's a big chunk of time, and it will be strange to not have it in my life. But I do think it might be time for a change.

On to a random note: in the mornings as I drive to work, I pass a number of fields that in warmer seasons are filled with a variety of crops. In the winter mornings and evenings, these fields are either frosted over or covered with a strange layer of fog (southern fog is interesting because there will be a big, thick patch of it in one place, and suddenly you'll drive past it and into the clear. It sort of settles in the hollows). But the other thing you'll see in these fields is birds. They cover the ground and the bare trees. Thousands, probably millions of birds. My ornithology is a bit sketchy, and I have no real idea what kinds of birds these might be, but they are plentiful to say the least. And watching them is amazing (and a bit hazardous, as I'm driving at speeds above 65 miles per hour, most of the time). They will swirl up out of the trees and into the sky, sometimes settling back down, other times making this amazing feathery trail across the sky. These swarms of birds make a dark ribbon in the sky that could be a mile long and contain millions of birds. And no matter which direction the flock twists and turns, they never seem to run into each other. It's amazing to see. Just don't crash your car while you watch them.

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Glad to see you're making positive strides on the weight. Sorry that you've got to think about leaving the swim coaching behind, but it's probably the right move. I know you like doing it, but it certainly has sounded like the benefits you get out of it (both figurative and literal) at best barely outweigh the negatives that go into it. And watch out for the damn birds!