Thursday, January 15, 2009

Another inexplicable moment. This morning's weigh-in, after yesterday's impressive 1 1/2 lb drop and a dinner of pizza:

197.4

Can anyone tell me how I dropped two pounds in two days? I'm boggled. I even had pizza for dinner. PIZZA. All I can think of is a Bloom County comic strip from years ago (I searched for it but couldn't find it online). Opus is standing next to a scale and worrying about weighing in. He says something to the effect of, "I probably weigh two pounds more. This is so depressing." Then he weighs in, and exclaims, "Two pounds lighter! Without even trying! How about that!" But then he sits next to the the scale and says, "I probably have cancer. This is so depressing." Not that I think I might have cancer or anything, but it does make me wonder how I could have lost two pounds so quickly. But then again, it's been so long since I really tried to lose weight. Maybe this IS what it's like when you are successful. Having been so unsuccessful for so long, I can't remember...

Another funny note: At the gym the other day, I was trying to get through my morning circuit of weights. I do machines, not because they're better, but because they are faster to set up and I'm on a deadline in the mornings. Anyway, I had three leg machines left to do, but they were being occupied by a group of about six or so older (50's, maybe) men. They were trading off on reps on the machines and rest periods, and rotating the group through the machines. This was a pain, because I'd already done all the other leg machines, and I really didn't want to get started on the cardio portion of my workout without finishing the rest. The men were joking with each other and chatting like they had all the time in the world. I wanted to interrupt and let them know I was waiting on the machines, but I didn't. Again, all I could think of was a Far Side cartoon. It said something about a tough gang of astrophysicists who would take over the telescope and not let anyone else use it. It just seems like such an ironic situation.

No comments: