Monday, November 27, 2006



I don't understand spam.

OK, I don't understand the "meat" version of spam, but I'm really talking about the uninvited e-mails received daily by millions of people. According to an article I saw on CNN.com today, they (whoever "they" are) estimate that 9 out of 10 e-mails received are spam e-mails trying to get the receiver to buy something, visit a certain website, or whatever.

I know why people send out spam. It's a cheap advertising method. I don't know how many people find anything interesting in their spam and actually visit the sites or buy the products that are being hawked, but it must be enough to make it worth their while.

But the recent spam I've received is weird. It doesn't make much sense. Here's a sample:


Chocolate and cinnamon transcend coffee's morning image and move it into the realm of an adult milkshake.
She marvels that such a simple dish can shine with flavors that absolutely sing!
But for times when a little familiarity is needed, these are the recipes to turn to.
This one can be made ahead, chilled, and rewarmed in a microwave or double boiler.
Or what's the best one you've seen? Or what's the best one you've seen?
I did that and then flew with him again last weekend. Clearly I need to keep at it.
So when nostalgia hits this fall, feature the last of summer's finest fruits right here in this dessert. It felt like there might be demand. Try this pecan-crusted red snapper. It would have all been manual work and I was already too busy.
Even "non-fishionados" will like this dish. But I just wanted to point out that it's there so that nobody is surprised.
Using winter squash and carrots make it the perfect side dish for a fall dinner.
Here's a tasty way to put them to good use. I suspect it's psychological.
You have been warned. That means you're safe, right? Show me someone who doesn't like sundaes and I'll show you a person a few scoops short of a pint. TechMeme is a useful service for many people.
These tartlet shells are partially baked, filled, then baked again. Eight cups of spinach and a touch of lemon ensure its presence in this rich treat.
You probably have all the ingredients on hand, and whipping them up takes just about as long as mixing their boxed buddies. She marvels that such a simple dish can shine with flavors that absolutely sing!
It's a wonder chickens all over the world aren't out of a job. I've been trying to fix that in recent months, but it's hard to go cold turkey.
But they've still developed a bad rep over time.
Don't shy away from the anchovy paste - it makes the vinaigrette distinctive without imparting a fishy taste.

OK, I get the picture. That's where the advertising takes place, and it's located in the picture so spam filters can't read the text and block it out. But what the hell is the rest of it? It is almost entirely weird, food-related chatter. Someone went through a lot of trouble to type that up, or at least to cut and paste it all. Why? Why not just send the picture without the rest of the text?

The addresses and subject headings kill me, too. I've received spam e-mails from such unlikely people as Flabby N. Moonpies, Tom and Katie Cruise, Obese Treefighter, and Ender McTouchy. Who thinks up these names? Like you're going to open an e-mail from Flabby N. Moonpies. Seriously. And the subject headers try to defeat the spam filters by intentionally misspelling or dividing the words, such as Vi*agra and Obes*ity and This Stocck Will Go Farr. Who do these people think they're kidding?

I don't understand spam.

No comments: