Monday, April 24, 2006

I'm really cheating here, because this a copy of a comment I posted on my brother's blog, but I have to give mad props to this restaurant:

Oh my God. We ate at the most evil, horrible restaurant Saturday night! I took my husband and brother-in-law out for their birthdays, and we went downtown to Texas de Brazil, a Brazilian grill house right next to the famous Peabody Hotel. This is the most unbelievable place. It is a set-price restaurant, and there are no menus. You pay about $40 per person (I think it was about $43). There is a huge salad bar in the middle of the restaurant with 40+ items on it, from sushi to artichoke hearts to black beans and rice to pasta to the biggest wheel of cheese I've ever seen. After you've gorged on the salad bar (which was awesome but I should have just skipped altogether), you take a deep breath and flip over a little red circular piece of plastic next to your plate, to the green side. Within moments an army of "gauchos" armed with skewers of all different sorts of meat and wickedly sharp knives show up at your table. They just wander around the room until someone flips over their little card, and then they pounce. They offer you their skewer, and if it has something on it you want to try, they just slice off a hunk and drop it onto your plate, or if it is something smaller they can just slide it off the end of the skewer. Filet mignon, leg of lamb, barbecued pork ribs, grilled chicken, shrimp, flank steak, parmesan pork tenderloin, Brazilian sausage, lamb shank, it just goes on and on. You take what you want, flip your card back to red to stop the insanity, and start eating. (They also put garlic mashed potatoes, fried polenta, and fried carmelized bananas at the table to cleanse your palate between the different cuts of meat.) When your plate is clear, you can flip your card back over and it all starts again. My God. And the hostess had the indecency to ask if we wanted dessert. Actually, both of the guys got dessert (it was free since it was their birthdays) and brought it home. My brother-in-law managed to eat his turtle cheesecake the same night (must be great to have a 19-year-old metabolism), and my husband consumed his carrot cake last night. It was fantastic. And best of all, despite my fear that this would be a diet-train wreck, I didn't gain any weight! Oh yes, the night after we ate I was several pounds heavier than before dinner, but that was actually food weight. Last night (after a day of kayaking, i must add--great exercise!) I was half a pound lighter than I was prior to dinner Saturday night. Whoo hoo!

1 comment:

MusikMom said...

I think I just gained 10-lbs. just reading this!

Sometimes you just gotta!
Mon :-)