Monday, April 17, 2006

After traveling this weekend for family purposes, I was struck by my husband's and my musical choices for driving. As we listened to the same CDs over and over, it occured to me that there are certain albums that I automatically associate with driving. There are albums that I use for long trips, albums I use for quick runs to the store, and albums I can listen to wherever, whenever, repeatedly. I do listen to a lot of comedy albums when driving for long hours, because the talking seems to help keep me awake. But musically, the best long trip albums are

*Songs You Know By Heart-Jimmy Buffet
*Greatest Hits Vol. I and II-The Eagles (I know these are two separate albums, but I think of them as one single album)
*Road Rage-Great Big Sea
*Hybrid Theory-Linkin Park
*Gordon-Barenaked Ladies
*Reunion-The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem
*Recollection-Concrete Blonde
*The Essential Johnny Cash-Johnny Cash
*Greatest Hits-Journey
*Black Album-Metallica
*Best Shots-Pat Benatar
*Primer-Rockapella

2 comments:

iamhoff said...

Good post. Got the pic of Maerlyn...cute. Let me get home and go thru my CDs to jog my memory on what discs to listen to.

iamhoff said...

My favorite long trip albums, for a variety of reasons are:

Ratt - Hits 81/91. Good rockin' stuff to keep you going.

Stan Ridgeway (Wall of Voodoo) - Songs that Make America Great. This was my theme music when driving to Why-oming for your 21st B-day.

Boney James - Seduction. Good smooth jazz riding on the edge of R&B...good grooves.

Metallica - Black Album. Speeding Ticket Music.

Metallica - And Justice For All. See above.

Journey - Raised on Radio. The greatest hits disc is good, but this disc was my soundtrack on a church youth group trip to Colorado. Good memories.

Abba - Gold (Vol 1 and 2). 2 separate discs, but I listened to these discs so much going back and forth between SD and Brawley, that they're just driving music to me.

Scorpions - World Wide Live. Nothing like a live metal disc to keep you going. Especially one with such travel friendly gems like "Coming Home" (recorded in the SD Sports Arena, btw) and "Big City Nights".

There's plenty of others, but the majority of the discs I travel to are mixes, so these are my "whole disc" picks.