Thursday, December 22, 2005

Ever feel like there are unwritten standards at your gym, and you just don't measure up?

Man, I sure felt like that today. Normally I work out a bit earlier in the day (5-6:30 am) or much much later (5:30-7 pm); this morning I hit the gym a little after 7. There are always well-toned, muscular folk there--I mean, it is a gym--who make me feel a little self-conscious, but never as many as there were this morning. They all seem to have the same idea I did: try to lose some weight before Christmas to lessen the impact of all the food that I'll be eating. But it wasn't just them. Apparently we've gotten the holiday influx of Ole Miss sorority girls in for Christmas Break, because the treadmills were full of blonde ponytails in size 2 spandex. Now, I've recently lost 20 lbs, I've stopped mooing when I look in the mirror, and I've finally gotten up the nerve to wear those "sophie" shorts (you know, the little ultra-short jersey ones that come with cute little sayings on the back like "CHEER" or "DANCE"--I keep looking for ones that say "WIDE LOAD" but they don't seem to sell them at Sports Authority), but my size 2 spandex days are long gone (actually, I never had size 2 spandex days; size 3 was the best I ever did, and I avoided spandex like the plague after the '80s were over). These girls seemed to size me up (and my size is WAY, WAY up) as I stepped onto the machine, as if they were thinking, "Um, excuse me, the water aerobics class is in the pool area." (Sorry, no insult meant to water aerobics people--I just have a long-standing conflict with them from my days as a swim coach having to share a pool with these old ladies who refused to get their hair wet in the pool and asked me things like, "Can your swimmers stop making waves and splashing?" Hello, it's a SWIM team, and you are in a SWIMMING pool....) Anyway, I survived a two-hour workout (man, I had to; I'm having Christmas with both my parents and my in-laws, and the moms have been cooking and baking for at least three weeks in preparation) and slunk out of the gym, hoping none of the sorority girls would notice me. If they did, and said anything, my only defense would be "Hey, at least I don't have to pay for my friends." Pretty weak, I know.

Merry Christmas! And for those of you who prefer the non-religious term "Happy Holidays", you know the word holiday actually comes from holy day, right? HA HA HA!

1 comment:

MusikMom said...

I just stumbled onto your blog from your bro's blog that I had stumbled on the week before. (Kinda sorta like the six degrees of separation; I had a student whose older brother did a skit on SNL, enuf said.)
He read my blog and told me that you were a teacher as well. I'm so glad that you are happy at your school. I left last year because it was full of evil nuns/staff. (http://musikmom.blogspot.com/)
I'm trying to get rid of twenty myself. The apartment I'm living in houses many of the size 0-2 blondies as well. Needless to say, I don't use the facilities here.
This is my first year as a non-teacher and had to use my vacation time for the holy-days. That's one thing that I REALLY miss about teaching! You get two weeks off for Christmas! (What most people don't realize is that it takes one week to get over shell shock/PTSD symptoms and three days to brace yourself for your return to the classroom.)

Enjoy your time off!
Mon :-)