Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Dreaming of/Praying about/Begging for a white Christmas...

Is there anything more depressing than a winter without snow?

Now, I'm not talking about a Southern California winter. I grew up with those. It isn't really winter; December and January are really just months to give surfers a way to earn money to support their surfing for the rest of the year (snowboard instructors at Tahoe). While it isn't very Christmas-y, there is a certain glee to doing your holiday shopping in shorts and t-shirts (see my brother's blog, iamhoff.blogspot.com for details).

But I am not experiencing that glee; I'm talking about a Southern winter. A Mid-South winter, to be exact. Here in the Memphis area, it snows maybe once every other year, and then only if it is inconvenient for all involved. It doesn't last long, but it royally screws everything up for a day or two. Or we'll get an ice storm, which prolongs the agony even more. Otherwise, we get rain. Not a happy rain, not a rain where you sit on your porch with your glass of iced tea watching the lightning, not a rain where you snuggle down under your covers and listen to the awesome power of the thunder. No, this is a light rain, not quite light enough to be a drizzle, and 40 degrees. Ick. Even the dog, who normally enjoys both rain and cooler temperatures, makes his morning walk in record time. It is miserable. The weather here, humid to say the least, makes you stay cold and damp for hours. Bleah.

I spend all summer wishing it were cooler, and all winter wishing it weren't so dreary. It makes me long for my So Cal winters, or even my Laramie, WY winters (cold cold cold cold cold). Any extreme is better than this damp and depressing weather.

I think Bill Amend nailed it in his comic strip FoxTrot, when Paige said, "Dante was wrong. Hell is 33 degrees."

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Well, I think you're gonna get that white winter. Weather.com has the high temp in Lander as 28 for today. Woo hoo!

The blog is looking good. Hope you had a chance to read over all of my posts. People are actually reading it! Woo hoo! I'm adding a link to your blog. Go ahead and add mine. It is very easy. Go to the "Blogger" link in the upper left corner, login if necessary, find your blog and click on "edit settings". Go to the template tab, and scroll down until you find the html line with the word "Links" in it. It's probably 5/6 of the way to the end. Pick a line, copy it all the way from left margin to end of text, and paste it on the next line (return to add a line if necessary). Then take my url and paste it inside the quotes in the html line, and rename the link to whatever you want to call me (no not that!). See ya in Why-oming.