Saturday, February 07, 2009

Some prayers are needed for one of my students and her family. Last night, the father of one of my sophomores was shot and killed in an argument over a parking space. I believe this student has some siblings, but her mother died when she was younger, so she is now an orphan. This is the sickest, most horrifying thing I can imagine. This little girl is very quiet and shy, and I am hard-pressed to identify who her friends in the class might be. I am an adult who has struggled to come to grips with losing a parent, and this child has now lost BOTH. Please keep this little one in your prayers.

3 comments:

Smithee said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your student. During my student teaching days, we had a girl whose father was shot by the jealous ex of his girlfriend. He was still in a coma when my time at the school ended, and I still think about the student and wonder how she is and what happened.

When we lost a student over the holidays, I told one of my classes, which included one of that student's closest friends, that I may only be their teacher for 10 months, but they are my kids forever. That's one of the amazing things about being a teacher that I wasn't prepared for when I started this gig.

I'm sure you will find a way to be there for your student. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

iamhoff said...

Sending thoughts and prayers...

River Driver said...

Smithee, I know exactly what you are talking about. Several years ago, we lost two students from the same grade within seven months of each other. They were my original class when I started teaching here, and I think I took the losses just as hard as their classmates did. I have always viewed my students as my reasons for teaching, and I call them "my marbles" (from Hook, since my students are my happy thoughts). To this day, I carry two marbles in my purse to remind me of the two students I have lost.