Tuesday, November 27, 2007

OK, I need to clarify that I do not listen to country music.  Oh, I'll admit that there are occasionally songs I do enjoy, much in the same way I occasionally have strange cravings for bologna.  Don't know why, and thankfully neither compulsion rears its head too often.  

However, every once in a while a country song comes along that is so very, very country that it's simply hilarious.  The song that's been stuck in my head now for a couple of days is just such a song.  It's "Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks.  Basically, it's about a woman who gets abused by her husband and decides to kill him off.  Not normally something I would consider funny by any stretch of the imagination, but the way they approach the song is with a significant measure of silliness, and the video is a riot.  A number of well-known actors and actresses contributed to it: Dennis Franz of NYPD Blue fame, Jane Krakowski from Ally McBeal, Lauren Holly from NCIS, and Adrian Pasdar from Heroes.  This song just tickles me, in the same way I'm horrifically entertained by "Pickup Man" by Joe Diffie.  It's just so very, very country.  (Note: Both of these songs are not particularly recent, which is another way you can tell I don't often listen to country.  When I do, it's usually older country, like Kenny Rogers and Alabama.)

Anyway, since the stupid song is stuck in my head, I figured I'd share it around.

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Curse you! I did like that song (Pickup Man, too) back before the whole Dixie Chicks-Dubya drama. You want "the" perfect Country-Western song, find David Allan Coe - You Never Even Called Me By My Name. As country as it gets, especially the break between (I believe) verse 2 and 3. Find it, listen to it, and you will love it.