Thursday, October 04, 2007

I knew it was coming. And it still caught me.





I can't believe it happened. Lisa Moore died today.

I know, this probably isn't significant to most of you, but it is to me.

For those of you who have no idea what's going on, the comic strip Funky Winkerbean has been around for a while. I remember reading it when I was a kid. I always thought it was pretty funny, although it did occasionally deal with some pretty serious issues. Drugs, teenage pregnancy, death. Pretty heavy for the funny pages.

Several years ago, they went through a storyline where one character, Lisa Moore (who had gotten pregnant as a teenager in an earlier plotline), discovered she had breast cancer. She went through some very scary moments, survived her treatment, and went into remission. Again, pretty serious for the comics, but a great story. She became a hero, a survivor.

The story did not end there, though. Several months ago, Lisa got a call from the doctor, who explained that her x-rays had gotten mixed up with another patient's. The patient who thought she had breast cancer was fine. But Lisa's was back. She went into treatment again, but the cancer was tougher, more aggressive. Finally, a few weeks ago, Lisa decided enough was enough. She was done with treatment. She wanted to face her end under her own terms. The past couple of weeks she'd gotten weaker and weaker. She started saying goodbye to her loved ones. And today, she said goodbye to everything else.

A little emotional. First of all, it hearkens back to my feelings in April, when the doctor came in and delivered a similar message to my dad, brother, and me: "She's gone." Fear, sadness, loss. Then, the realization that, even though this isn't a real person, it is still the end of "someone" I've known for a long time. Heck, I was saddened in the Harry Potter books that some of the characters had to go, and I was BESIDE myself when Stephen King finished off Oy in such dramatic fashion in the final Dark Tower book (damn you, Stephen!).

Comics are supposed to be funny, aren't they? Oh sure, some have gotten a little cute here and there, maybe a little dark, too, but mostly they are just happy and joyful moments to lighten your day, right?

At least I got a little warning this time. I remember another shock I had, years ago, from For Better or For Worse, when April fell in the river. Faithful sheepdog Farley jumped in to the rescue, holding April's head above water until her father could pull her out. As the family crowded around, hugging April, someone looked down at the dog, and said, "I don't think he's breathing."






Seriously, who kills off the dog in a comic strip? What the hell's wrong with you?

Anyway, I mourned Farley then, and I mourn Lisa now.

I think I'll go back to just reading about the crocs trying to kill the zebra in Pearls Before Swine. At least I know they'll never get him...

4 comments:

iamhoff said...

Seekret Ajent kitteh kill zeeba!

Seriously, though, I'm with you on both Farley and on Funky Winkerbean. Two points about Lisa Moore that I've been grappling with. One is the exact point you mentioned, it takes us back to that tiny little room when the Doctor came in and told us that Mom had died. The other point is I've been living this particular story arc from the perspective that this is what we would've likely gone thru if Mom had survived the surgery. Eventually the chemo would've stopped being effective, she would've stopped treatment, and likely followed a very similar path to Lisa.

It hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting for it to happen with Jason and Justin's dad. He's had the lung-ectomy, radiation, and chemo, and back in July he told his family that he was done with the treatments. Amazingly, according to Justin he seems to have improved (the chemo IS a poison, after all). He sounds stronger on the phone, his color has come back, and so has his energy. I've been thru a lot with their family, and I love 'em all, but it's hard not to think that their dad's improvement is only temporary; given how much he's already gone thru, eventually the cancer will start progressing again, and his condition will start to deteriorate. I am NOT looking forward to that.

I still can't get over the fact that me and both of my roommates from college all have had parents suffering cancer, all within the same basic timeframe. Their dad was first diagnosed with lung cancer back in 2003 (I believe), and from what Jason and Justin have said he's in Stage 4. Zippy's mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2006 and passed away in early 2007. Mom was diagnosed in early 2004 and passed away this past April. Cancer sucks.

River Driver said...

I hope when it's Jim's time, it is quick and painless. Cancer does suck. Just found out yesterday that the father of one of my junior swimmers passed away Thursday night. He was just diagnosed less than a week ago with pancreatic cancer. Obviously very advanced. I can't imagine how shocked their family must be.

iamhoff said...

I just noticed something about the FBFW comic you have embedded here. Look at the date. The way I read it, that particular strip ran on 4/21, which (to me) means that Farley passed away on 4/20. In a strange way, that brings me a little peace. Farley gave his life being a hero. It certainly can be said that Mom's work with the terminally ill and seniors was heroic in its own way. Kinda deep, no?

Any word on Lady?

River Driver said...

Haven't heard anything about Lady yet. Last thing I heard was that the vet had given them special food for Lady and she seems to be responding to it.

There is something about that date, isn't there...