Tuesday, September 25, 2007






PRAYER TO ST. FRANCIS
FOR OUR PETS

Good St. Francis, you loved all of God's creatures.
To you they were your brothers and sisters.
Help us to follow your example
of treating every living thing with kindness.
St. Francis, Patron Saint of animals,
watch over my pet
and keep my companion safe and healthy.
Amen.


It's a rough time, pet-wise, in my family. My dog, Maerlyn, experiences occasional seizures, and had one over the weekend. While they do not seem to leave any lasting effects, they are frightening and upsetting. My brother's Dobie, Ginger, has an exploded disk in her back and underwent surgery for it today. And then the really bad news came in. My sister-in-law's Sheltie, Lady, is inexplicably in renal failure. I do not know all the details, as the news was relayed to me through my husband who got it from his parents who got it from his sister, but apparently they told my sister-in-law that she could last two weeks or two years. We're pretty upset. Lady is only ten, and she is the kindest and sweetest dog on the planet. She's very friendly, loyal, smart, obedient...pretty much everything a dog is supposed to be. My dog absolutely worships her. Ever since he was a puppy, he has wanted to do what Lady was doing. We'll be crushed if anything happens to her. So please, if you can spare a moment, some prayers for the pets in my family would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

iamhoff said...

Ginger came thru her surgery just fine. Talked to the vet this morning and she is doing so well that she may be coming home on Thursday (we were expecting Friday), so w00t for us! We talked about Maer and I'm glad that the seizure passed, but that's horrible about Lady. Please let M and Em know that I'm praying for Lady and them too.

iamhoff said...

You said that Lady was camping with all of you the other weekend. Any possibility that she got into something out there, or something bit her that may be causing the problem? If you'uns (y'all plus 3) haven't checked that out with the vet, that may be a good place to start. It sounds like the timing would fit.

River Driver said...

I suppose it is possible that Lady might've gotten into something or gotten bitten, but I don't know when or by what. She got into far less as far as bushes and such than Maer did. I need to call E anyway and get the details about Lady, so I'll ask if they've checked out those possibilities. Lady was treated for cancer a few years back--she had a tumor on one leg and went through chemo and radiation treatments for it--and I think it's likely that there was either some damage to the kidneys from those treatments or perhaps the cancer has affected the organs. I don't know if they are going to do dialysis or anything for her; I'll find that out when I talk to E.

How's Ginger doing? Is she going to be coming home today?