Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ooookay, it's been a little while since my last post. Very little has changed. Due to a variety of circumstances, I have not made it to the gym regularly as I had planned, I have not done much in the way of monitoring my food intake, and basically everything is exactly as it was two weeks ago. My weight is still at about 184. However, I have hope that things will start to improve. School has started, so I've got a routine now, and I can control the amount of food that goes to school with me, so I should be able to limit my intake. We're working on a little vehicular problem that has caused my husband and me to share a vehicle for the last week or so, and if we can get that straightened out today I should be able to start back to the gym in the morning tomorrow. I have hope.

Life has sort of stagnated, as my husband put it. We got a glimpse of a place we would love to live, Boise, ID. I know, you're thinking, "Idaho? What the $&%^ is in Idaho?" Well, other than potatoes (my second favorite food group), there's a surprising amount of stuff in Idaho. We went to get a glimpse of Boise State, where my brother-in-law is considering going for grad school. Boise State was OK, somewhat unremarkable to someone who has been surrounded by SEC campuses for the past nine years but overall not bad. But the town was incredible. The actual city of Boise has around 200,000 residents, and the surrounding area (Nampa, Meridian, Eagle, and some other small towns) create a metro area of about 600,000 total. So it's not small, but it has a nice small-town feel. Boise is known as the City of Trees, and the city is very green and verdant, especially if you consider that the surrounding land is brown and scrubby. It's a very earthy town, with lots of people riding bikes, skating, or running everywhere. All the streets have bike paths, there are bike racks at every corner and outside every shop, and there is a greenbelt system of city parks numbering around 50. The Boise River runs straight through town, and there are paved pathways running alongside the river for about 25 miles on either side. Everywhere we went there were people outside enjoying the day. But as green and granola as it was, it didn't have that aggressive "we're so green and liberal" feeling, the feeling that places like Boulder, CO and Eugene, OR have. Idaho seems to have a pleasant mix of environmentalists and red state Republicans. We were very impressed. But of course, now that we've gotten that glimpse of Boise, we're stuck in the South. A possible promotion has popped up for my husband at work, and if it ends up happening it will trap us here for a few years more. And the whole thing has just made us dissatisfied with living here in general. It was a bit of a tease.

Anyway, that's just a little of life right now. I'll let you know if I'm able to get back on track tomorrow.

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Yeah, Boise does sound pretty sweet, SEC football notwithstanding. Although I know your heart truly lies in the old WAC/MWC, so take that for what it's worth.

Sorry the summer was a whole lot of nothing, but it could've been worse...at least it was pretty much nothing! Now that school is back in session, it should be easier to get things on track. Keep the updates coming, and keep us updated on hubby's situation.