Monday, August 20, 2007

Meh. Didn't make it to the gym this a.m. I didn't go to sleep as early as I wanted, and then I slept poorly, so I reset the alarm at about 3:30 and slept 'til 5:30. Didn't do that well at keeping the food to a minimum today either, as it was a coworker's birthday. A little party at lunch with a little cake and a little punch and, well, you can guess what the problem was. I didn't adjust the rest of my eating for the day, which I should have done.

It seems like my life is starting to revolve around 100-calorie packs of things, and generally prepackaged meals. I have 100-calorie packs of Cheese Nips, Oreo Crisps, Doritos, even Hostess Snack Cakes (man, those are so disappointing compared to a nice full-size package of cupcakes). I've got Healthy Choice meals (usually under 300 calories) for lunches. For dinner we've been using those Bertolli bagged skillet meals (serves two, ready in ten minutes). It's all great, but I'm wondering if I'll ever develop the ability to cook and eat an appropriately-sized meal. How do you cook for two and not scarf down any leftovers? It makes me question the long-term success of anyone on a prepackaged meal system, like Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem.

I did make it to the gym after school, although it wasn't the most impressive workout I've had. I made 15 minutes on the elliptical machine (I will credit myself that I set it on a higher resistance than usual) and just pooped out. I switched to the treadmill (feeling a little dizzy for the first minute or so) and went for another 30 minutes.

So, not the best start back on the road to thinness, but it is a start nonetheless.

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Ya know, I'm not sure what the long-term viability of the packaged meal route is. It is rare when we cook and eat at home, so when we do we just immediately dish up two servings and put the remainder immediately into the tupperware. As infrequently as we do that, that seems to be the key. Plate up two servings and then IMMEDIATELY place the remainder into leftover containers. No going back for seconds...just don't even tempt yourself. Have a 100 calorie pack of something (lolz, couldn't resist!). Seriously, just be hypervigilant about counting out the calories when you prepare something at home. Go off of whatever nutritional info is on the package, or look up the raw ingredients on CalorieKing.com. Don't overload your plate (one of my biggest failures) and don't go back for seconds...it really makes a difference.