Friday, January 27, 2006

In memory of the astronauts of Apollo 1, Challenger, and Columbia, and all those who have lost their lives in the name of exploration...

Tomorrow is the anniversary of one of those days when you remember exactly where you were when it happened. I was in sixth grade on January 28, 1986, in my science class. We had a TV wheeled into our classroom, and we were watching the launch of the Challenger. Because the launch had been delayed several hours that morning, we in California would actually get to watch it live.

So we spent the whole week before talking about space travel and stars and things of that nature. My teacher had actually applied for the Teacher in Space program, so she was very interested in the launch.

And then we sat, and watched. We saw footage taped from earlier that morning as the crew walked out and boarded the shuttle. We listened to them talk about what the Challenger's mission was, and what science projects they had on board. And we sat in stunned silence, staring at the puff of white smoke with the two trails leading away, as the unthinkable occurred.

The only sound that broke the silence was my teacher, crying. A few minutes later the principal made an announcement to the entire school, telling everyone what had happened.

I'm sure there were a lot of kids who didn't really care one way or the other about the accident. But to anyone who was interested in the shuttle flight, astronauts, space, or explorers, it was a horrible lesson in the consequences of mistakes and stubbornness. It was also one of the first times that kids my age learned that not all heroes have happy endings.

Seventeen years later, my husband woke me up on a Saturday morning to tell me that "something had gone wrong" with the Columbia shuttle as it entered the atmosphere for its landing after a successful week-long mission. I got out of bed, turned on CNN, and spent the next few hours glued to the television. Even though NASA had not yet conclusively determined what had happened to the shuttle, it was very clear as I watched the multiple trails of smoke traveling across the video of the southern sky that the shuttle had been lost. I called my parents in California, woke them out of their morning sleep to tell them the news, and cried.

I rejoiced in August 2005 when Discovery safely returned to earth, successfully returning us to manned space flight. But our shuttles are old, and the safety rate (when you consider the number of manned flights vs. the number of accidents) isn't great. So there will always be a fear, and a prayer for the safety of the astronauts, and thankfulness for their safe return, every time a shuttle goes up.

This week is full of these memorials, for the Apollo 1 accident (Jan. 27), the Challenger disaster (Jan. 28), and the Columbia disaster (Feb. 1). I offer my continued thanks to everyone who is brave enough to become an astronaut, prayers for their safety, and this poem by John Gillespie Magee, Jr., called "High Flight" (President Reagan quoted from this poem after the Challenger disaster):

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sunsplit clouds, and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of; wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence, hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor even eagle flew
And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high, untrespassed sanctity of space
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

God speed.

2 comments:

iamhoff said...

Amen. God rest the souls of those who led the way, and God bless the souls of those who take up the lead anew.

MusikMom said...

This actually brought back a few memories. The first was of a stupid scared college freshman watching the Today show, stalling before her first chemistry class. (I ended up failing that semester.) I always felt bad that I wasn't moved until I was much older.
The second memory is actually a compilation. As a new fifth grade teacher, we did a unit using a book by Sally Ride. I also integrated it with our Social Studies (the space race of the 60's) and our science units. My kids were SO hooked on space and the space program. It was the year that Glenn was going back up to space. Although other shuttles had gone up by then, this was so publicized that I worried about having to witness another disaster. In language arts, we did a lot of journaling which we used as fodder for formal papers. We talked about historical sources. It only made sense that we would bring our journals into the cafeteria with us to jot down our thoughts as we watched the launch. My heart had never beat so hard and so strong. As soon as we could see that all would be well, it was as if the floodgates had been lifted, I wasn't the only teacher or grown-up crying with relief.
Then last year... all I could think was "Fuck! Fuck!" So much disbelief. There is no denying that I am just as patriotic as the next person, even more so. I felt as if NASA had let them down, let us down, let their families down. Being a mom this time around, I thought of the gaping holes that would be left in their families. How would the husbands, wives, sons or daughters left behind reconcile this situation in thier minds? No doubt, like the most of us, they were, they ARE very proud of the sacrifices that were made in the name of science and our country.
I still cry whenever I think about this. My heart breaks. I still pray that in their last moments, there was no pain, only God extending His gentle arms to embrace them once again.