Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Had a lovely Martin Luther King, Jr./Robert E. Lee holiday yesterday...

Yeah, that's right, you read it correctly. In at least Mississippi and Arkansas, the January holiday actually was first designated for Robert E. Lee, everyone's favorite Confederate. When the government created MLK Day, the South just tacked it onto the holiday they already had.

DOES ANYONE SMELL THE IRONY!?

It seems a bit bizarre to have a holiday jointly assigned to a Confederate general whose goal was obviously everything that King was trying to change. I bet somebody's rolling over in a grave about now.

At least in Tennessee they don't count the Lee holiday anymore. I think they are trying to atone for being the state that King was assassinated in. Gotta love Memphis. King died there, Elvis died there, but Jerry Lee Lewis is still around...

I'm just so tired of all the Confederate hype in this part of the country. Where else do people spend so much time fussing about the fact that they lost? (other than maybe France) I actually saw a bumper sticker that read, "Union 1, Conferedates 0, HALFTIME." Dude, if you are that in love with the Confederacy, why don't you move there? Oh wait, that's because they LOST! So why don't you just find a river, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT. I saw a bumper sticker for sale in Memphis that had the Confederate flag in a circle with a line through it, and it said, "You lost. Get over it." I'd buy it and put it on my car except someone would slash my tires.

They actually sell bumper stickers that read, "I ride with Forrest." Meaning Nathan Bedford Forrest, the guy who founded the KKK. Who are these idiots, and why are there so many of them? Are they like cockroaches and they breed quickly or something? I mean, good grief. Maybe we need to start loading those reenacters' guns with real bullets. You know, thin the population a little bit...jk.

Anyway, I have a dream too, just like King did. Only mine is that all these racist idiots will stop putting stupid bumper stickers on their cars and start educating themselves in the real world.

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Hear hear! There's far too many idiots in the world. I saw the movie, Glory Road, over the weekend. Great movie, even if you don't like basketball. The racism portrayed back then in the early 60s was really ugly. I don't get people who hate somebody because of the color of their skin. Get to know them first. If you really need to hate somebody, find a legitimate reason to do so. Once you've gotten to know somebody, THEN you will have a theoretically rational reason to hate them. Same thing with the abortion rights people. Don't kill innocent babies. Let them grow up a bit, and when they screw up or become a big PITA, then you can abort them post-partum. I think it makes perfect sense, but then I'm just weird.