Friday, October 30, 2015

If this really is a good thing, why do I feel so guilty?

Today's weigh-in: 223.6

Well, it seems to be working.  I'm not counting calories at all, but I'm losing weight.  I'm scarfing down a ridiculous amount of fat each day, but I'm down 6 lbs in four days.  I'm pretty pleased so far, but it sure is hard.  I so badly want to eat a couple pieces of toast, or a sandwich, or some potatoes, or something.  I feel full after I eat, but I just don't feel satisfied.  Today was the closest I felt to that, and I think it's because I got some chocolate.

At the grocery store last night, I picked up a couple different kinds of Atkins snack bars, chocolate with caramel.  Unlike some of the other diet snack bars I've bought in the past, these weren't half bad.  They only have 2 and 3 net carbs, which isn't bad.  Also, my husband found some recipes for what are apparently called "fat bombs", things you are supposed to eat to get your blood back into ketosis if you haven't had enough fat or you've had too much protein.  They were chocolate and peanut butter with nuts in them, made with a lot of butter and coconut oil.  They were pretty good, although a little on the salty side.  It's still more of a savory chocolate taste, rather than a really sweet milk chocolate one, but I'll take what I can get.

It's weird, though.  This diet pretty much flies in the face of just about everything I've ever been told about eating.  I've always heard that you need to cut back on fat, cut back on calories, eat a balanced diet with plenty of protein, eat lots of fruits, stuff like that.  I haven't been able to have a piece of fruit all week because they all have too many carbs.  I keep eyeing the bananas, but they are more than half of my available carbs for the day.  Also, the diet recommends eating as late as 11 pm.  Most diets always said not to eat late in the day.  The whole thing is just really weird.  And apparently you have to eat so much fat!  I've never minded fatty foods; in fact, I've always liked the fat on my steak, park, or chicken.  But I feel like I'm overdosing on it.  Everything feels greasy and oily and thick.  I find myself craving a huge swig of orange juice, like it would clean everything out.  It's a really strange feeling.

I don't feel like I have much energy right now.  I'm still drinking my coffee in the morning, but I've gotten some of those sugar-free Torani syrups to try to make my froo-froo coffee drinks at home.  I keep seeing low carb recipes for "bulletproof coffee" with butter and cream in it.  It sounds repulsive.

Anyway, it seems to be working, but it isn't really making me feel good, either mentally or physically.  I'll be a lot more relieved when I hit the 10 lb mark.  I hope I keep going; it's really nice to actually lose weight for the first time in years.  I haven't even been working out.

No comments: