Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter is a time of reflection, of renewal. It's a time for things to start over.

So I'm reflecting on the fact that I haven't lost any weight. I realized, with a great deal of demoralization, that this past Friday was day 100 of my 2009 attempt at weight loss. And yet I haven't lost any weight. At all. My weight has fluctuated in a range of approximately 6 lbs, but it won't stay in one place, and it won't stay down.

I guess it's time for the renewal part. I need to rededicate myself to the weight loss goal. I've got about seven weeks until I'm done with work and free for the summer. During the summer I should be able to work out more and all that stuff, but I need to get a head start. If I can buckle down, I might be able to get rid of about 10 lbs by then. That would be great.

So, here's the "start over" part. I looked back at my previous weight loss attempt, back in 2005-2006. From November 2005 to the middle of the summer in 2006 (maybe 9 months?) I lost about 45 lbs. I did it by working out every day. On weekdays, I worked out twice each day, for about an hour each workout, regardless of what time of day it meant I would get home. I also worked out on weekends. On Saturdays and Sundays my husband and I would go to the gym and play racquetball for about an hour. Sometimes we'd hit the elliptical machines before we'd play.

I need to start over. I need to go back to that habit. I need to work out before and after work, every day, regardless of what time I end up getting home. It sucks. I hate it. But I don't think I can lose weight any other way.

2 comments:

iamhoff said...

2 things. Exercise and portion control. I've got a pretty solid bead on the exercise aspect (and frankly you probably do too), but the portion control is where I stumble the most (and based on past posts, you have this same problem). Back when I was younger (did I really just say that? Hey you damn kids, get off my lawn!), portion control was less of an issue because the metabolism was still running high enough. Either that or the crack was keeping it moving. But as I've gotten older, I've definitely noticed that the metabolism has dropped off, and that doing the "normal" workout schedule isn't enough to keep up with the intake. Easier said than done, I know, but it is what it is. Good luck.

River Driver said...

I've been told that you should start with exercise first, and establish a good workout routine before tinkering with the diet. I know I need to exercise more than just my body: I need to exercise portion control! But for the next few weeks I'm going to TRY to not worry quite as much about what I'm eating and concentrate more on getting to the gym, since that's a major fail on my part. I will need both elements, the restricted diet AND the workouts, to lose the weight, but I'm starting with the working out first and I'll add the food adjustments as I go.

But I've been mostly OK with the food, at least until dinner. I eat a small breakfast--small bowl of cereal perhaps--a granola bar or a thing of yogurt as a midmorning snack, a Healthy Choice meal (under 300 calories) and a single-serve bag of microwaveable frozen veggies (this week: peas, approx. 45 calories) for lunch, and maybe another granola bar or another bag of veggies for an afternoon snack. When I get home, though, it's "going out to eat" or "pizza" or "homemade burritos". That's when I really need the willpower to just have a sandwich or a salad. Or maybe another bowl of cereal?

*sigh* Now I'm hungry.