Wednesday, May 30, 2007

And there was much rejoicing (yay...).

It is officially summer vacation! Hooray! Finished all the work I needed to do in my classroom today, went to our end-of-the-year luncheon, checked out with the dean. That means I'm free and clear until July 16, when I start my two weeks of summer school. And after that, nothing until August 9. Whoo hoo!

But I'm not going to spend my summer lying around the house eating (like I did last summer). Oh no. I need to use this time to get myself out of the rut I've gotten in (the non-working-out, eating-way-too-much rut). My weight has crept back up over 180. I weighed myself this evening (even though it includes clothing and food weight since I just ate) and I'm not happy: 184.2. A solid 10 lbs heavier than my best weight so far since we started this whole weight-loss adventure over a year and a half ago.

So my summer will be spent at the gym. Not all day long; I don't think I could keep that kind of intensity up. But what I'd like to do is go to the gym in the morning and swim a few miles, then change into clothes and lift some weights. Then I would go home and do whatever needed to be done at home, and go back to the gym in the afternoon to meet my spouse and do some cardio. It will require a lot of effort and dedication from me, which I so far haven't shown in quite some time. I don't know if I'll be able to stick with it, but I'm going to try.

I also need to work on my eating habits. Right now we're pretty broke, so I don't have to worry about buying too much food. I just need to pick food that is good for me (fruits and veggies mostly) and only small amounts at a time. Ideally I would like to run/walk/bike to the farmers' market that is about a mile from my house to purchase my lunch, or maybe to the grocery store or Subway or something like that. However, my dislike of running coupled with the really unpleasant temperatures and humidity of a typical Southern summer may be prohibitive.

Anyway, this will all begin tomorrow. I'll start out the day by weighing myself, and then I'll hit the gym to swim. We,ll see how this goes from there...

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Good luck with all of that. Hopefully you'll be committed enough to take advantage of the available time. This past week and weekend were pathetic for me in that regard.

Eating is the other issue. I'll do really well throughout the day, and then blow it when I get home for dinner. Or I'll weigh myself in the morning, see that I've dropped a bit, and then gain it all back and then some with some noon-time excursion to a house of ill repute.

Again, good luck...