Monday, July 17, 2006

First of all, for all of you who have never received a trip to Southern California paid for by your employer...





HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry, had to be done. Anyway, I have returned from America's Finest City to America's...well...I really can't write that here; children might be reading. I must say, it is not at all pleasant being back. Nice to sleep in my own bed, but my husband had to fly to FL for the week, so I only got to see him for one day, and we hadn't seen each other for almost a week and a half. Bleah. So I'm sad and lonely, and of course the dog is holding me jointly responsible for being gone for a week and for driving Daddy away.

Well, I was correct in my assessment of the damage that would be done to my diet while on vacation. I came back with a four-pound weight gain. Eew. This morning I weighed in at 185 fat, er, flat (it was 187 on Sunday). I usually do my weigh-ins at night, when my hydration level and fat percentage are perhaps more accurate, but there is always food weight to consider. I don't really know the best time of day to weigh myself to be most accurate overall. So I started with a weigh-in this morning for a baseline, and I will take it from there.

Here's the deal: I have 30 days until the first day of school, just a little over four weeks. My goal is to be below 180 lbs (on a night weigh-in) by the time school starts. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Not for someone who hasn't lost any weight in 4 months. I went for an easy goal so it won't completely crush my spirit if I don't make it, you know? The plan is basic: eat less and exercise more. This week shouldn't be a problem with the eating less--I'm teaching summer school from 10-4 each day, putting me out of reach of all the food at home that has submarined me (ooo, sub sandwiches...sorry) all summer. I can only eat at school what I bring to school, which is usually just a couple granola bars and one of those 100-calorie bags of microwave popcorn. Of course, next week and the subsequent weeks I'll have to be careful and really cling to what willpower I have so I don't overeat at home. I won't be cooking for sure this week and possibly longer, because it is unbearably hot and humid (I won't even go out to the porch to grill anything), and I won't eat out because we're pretty broke, so it will be nothing but cereal, sandwiches, and salads for me for awhile. Hopefully that will help keep the calorie intake under control. Then there is the working out. Didn't work out this morning because I took my husband to the airport, but I plan to work out every weekday morning from now until the start of school (probably alternate swimming and *gasp* running). In the afternoons I will go back to the gym to meet up with my husband (not this week, sadly) for more cardio and weight lifting.

It sounds so easy, but it feels completely daunting. I just need to get back into a rhythm, I know, and then it will be easier. But it is so easy to sit around and do nothing at home! Why did God make it so easy to be lazy?

Well, my challenge has begun. 180 lbs by August 16. What consequences are there if I don't make my goal? Well, I'll have to feel terrible about myself as I gaze at all the skinny little 9th graders I'll be teaching this year. What a minute, that's what's going to happen anyway, weight loss or no weight loss... *sigh*

2 comments:

iamhoff said...

Nice pics. I must say, living in San Diego does NOT suck. Glad you were able to make it out, and sorry you had to go back. Good luck on the weight loss...that "getting back into a rhythm" thing ain't as easy as it sounds. Keep us all updated.

k. said...

i do so love living in southern california ... although, truth be told, it's been stupid hot lately and approaching unbearable. an inconvenient truth, indeed.

there's a wonderful book by annie lamotte called 'bird by bird" ... as a child, she must learn all the names of all these birds in north america for school, and she's procrastinated, and now only has a few days. "how will i learn them all, daddy!" she says, overwhelmed. her father smiles and says she won't be learning them all at once, she'll be learning them bird by bird.

weight loss has to be looked at the same way. don't worry about losing five or ten or 50 pounds ... on a daily basis, just go bird by bird.

i know, easier said than done. but the phrase often helps me.

hope today is a good one ...

k.