Monday, March 20, 2006

Much like the garden gnome that inspired Travelocity's "Roaming Gnome", and the Snoopy doll that is photographed all over the world, and that sock puppet from the children's story, I own the fabled Joe Bender (kayaker--www.joebender.com), otherwise referred to by my students as "Rastaman". This bender doll has become the unofficial mascot of the senior class at the school where I teach.


He was first kidnapped two weeks into the school year. The seniors, in retribution for another prank pulled by another grade the year before which framed them for the crime, borrowed my little kayaker toy and photographed him taped to a wall-sized map. Each day I would receive an e-mail with an updated location for the little guy. He was ultimately returned to me, but the game was on.


He then traveled to Kentucky with the seniors when they went on their class retreat.


After that, he went to Washington D.C. as a pro-life marcher in the March for Life.


Most recently, he journeyed out of the country, to France, where he visited several famous locations.


His trip culminated with a daring rubber-band bungee jump off the Eiffel Tower.

Goodness knows where he will go next. Does it seem fair that my toy is better traveled than I am?

5 comments:

MusikMom said...

Should we worry about you when we see that you are living vicariously through a little plastic figurine??
NAH!! It least it's really you on the rapids. You have been redeemed!

Peace,
Mon :-)

iamhoff said...

We need a shot of Joe Bender in the kayak with you and Ross. He may go to France, but can he survive the river that Deliverance was filmed on. Let's face it, if Ned Beatty can't do it, a Frenchman in some bicycle shorts won't doesn't stand a chance!

iamhoff said...

Never mind my grammatification errors. It's all part of my grand strategery.

River Driver said...

I don't know if I can even survive the Ocoee, let alone Joe Bender surviving it. I will try to attach him to my kayak at some point; he's magnetic and would probably stick to the metal security bars for awhile, but enough fast-moving water would surely spell his doom, and ironically I don't think he floats very well. I'll have to test this theory.

k. said...

hello to one who drives the river ...

thank you for checking out my blog and offering me the opportunity to take a look at yours. i've enjoyed reading the posts i've read (the myspace debate is an interesting one) and now wish i had a rastaman of my own.

i'll keep checking in!

k