Monday, March 23, 2020

Teaching During the Apocalypse: Week 2 Day 1

First day of our second week of school cancellation for COVID-19. Trying to find some kind of rhythm or routine to fall back on. Had to go pick up a packet of assignments for my second grader first thing this morning, and since then I've been doing double duty, trying to get my kids to do their school work and trying to get assignments and materials posted and checked for my high school students.

On one hand, I feel like I'm somewhat prepared for the week. I only have a few assignments I need to construct for my students, and I pretty much know what those are and what they will look like. On the other hand, I feel like I'm behind the eight ball because I have assignments to grade from the week before school got cancelled, and I have to get them all graded ASAP. This wouldn't be quite as hard to do if this felt like a "normal" school cancellation, like a snow day. But it doesn't feel like that at all. The novelty of being home has worn off for everyone, even the dog. The boys are chafing to go outside and do something, and are resisting doing their school work. I too am bored and tired of being inside; ennui is a powerful demotivator.

I know I need to get some stuff done, but I'm not really feeling it. Le sigh. Hopefully I can remotivate myself this afternoon.

No comments: