Monday, October 04, 2010

I have seen my future, and it involves a lot of housework.

I am the world's worst housewife. Pretty much since we moved to Montana, I've had ample time at home, time that I could have been spending making my house a sparkly clean paradise.

But no. I am one of the laziest people I know. Even though there may not be a single worthwhile thing on TV, even though I've watched all our DVDs a thousand times, even though I'm bored out of my mind, I will still sit there, watch TV, watch movies, read books that I've read many times before, rather than get off my butt and do a lick of housework.

Before we moved, I excused myself by considering how much work I had to do that was related to school and coaching, and how tired I was when I got home. Also, we didn't have a dishwasher, we didn't have storage space, and our house was a piece of crap, so I didn't feel that bad about letting the clutter and mess permeate the place. Why take care of it when it wasn't all that great to begin with?

But now, I have no excuses. I have a nice dishwasher, closets and a garage, and no fulltime job. I have plenty of time to spend working on my house, and plenty of places to put things when I put them away. And yet I still sit on the couch all day like a lump.

Now, these last few weeks I've had a little bit of an excuse, since I'm at the end of my pregnancy and having a hard time getting around. But there are still things I could be doing, like putting things in closets and drawers rather than leaving them piled up on countertops. And putting dishes in the dishwasher. And all those sorts of things.

Well, as we've let the house get cluttered up, we've had more to deal with than ever, with all the baby paraphernalia that we are collecting. Clothes, bottles, blankies, toys, furniture...there are piles of baby things everywhere. And now we're struggling to keep up. All the stuff needs to be washed and put away. We're trying to decide where things need to go, and not everything has a home yet. So the house is more cluttered and messy than it has ever been before. Coupled with our basic things, like piled up dishes and mail that needs to be put away, and we've got a disaster of epic proportions.

So, I guess I need to get better at housekeeping IN A HURRY, or we'll never dig ourselves out. I'd hate to misplace the baby in the mess and not be able to find him.

No comments: