Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Another school year is starting, and again I don't have a classroom of my own. I'm looking at another year of subbing (of course, punctuated by however long I'm out for the baby), and more online tutoring. Both the subbing and the tutoring are poor substitutes for having my own classroom and my own students. It's disappointing, because I feel unwanted, even though I suspect the reason I did not get the positions for which I interviewed was the pregnancy (or, more specifically, the fact that I would be missing two months out of the first semester--if I were due after Christmas it might have been a completely different story). I've never had trouble getting a teaching job before, and I spent seven years being an important part of a faculty. Now, I feel like an afterthought, a runner-up, and a ghost in the hallways, just another substitute teacher wandering through the school day. It makes me long for my old school, my old classroom, my old students. I just hope I can get through the school year (and make enough money that we don't starve!). *sigh*

No comments: