Monday, September 15, 2008

Still fuming about the end to the Chargers/Broncos game last night. Yes, I know, mistakes happen, and yes, I know, calls get blown all the time. But when not one but TWO calls go horribly awry in the same game, against the same team, you start to feel as though the refs have a personal vendetta against your team. I remember back to my college days. The refs in the old Western Athletic Conference were notoriously TERRIBLE. We had regular chants for such occasions, such as "THE REF BEATS HIS WIFE! THE REF BEATS HIS WIFE!" and "WHEN I GET OLD AND CANNOT SEE, I WANT TO BE A REFEREE!" and of course the classic "ZEBRA ZEBRA, SHORT AND STOUT, FIND YOUR HEAD AND PULL IT OUT!" which I still employ at hockey games. Heck, I even remember one game where the calls were so bad the refs had to be rescued by football players from a barrage of snowballs coming from the stands. We had deadly aim back then. What I wouldn't have given for a long-distance snowball last night to peg Ed Hochuli in the back of the head for blowing his damn whistle early.

1 comment:

iamhoff said...

Yeah, Ed's a tool. I suppose he at least had the stones to man up and admit to Norv that he blew the call. Moral victory and all that crap. Here's what I think: something happens (like a fumble) and the ref blows the whistle early. That should be an automatic review to see if the players closest to the ball kept playing (i.e. went for the ball). If it can be reasonably determined that the players didn't stop playing (like they did yesterday), then the zebras should be able to overturn their own "play" of blowing the whistle and thus rule on the play appropriately. I also think the rule of only 2 minutes to wait to see if tech support can fix the damn replay equipment is absurd. It takes nearly 2 minutes to reboot Windows, so in a situation like what happened yesterday occurs, I think 5 minutes minimum is reasonable. I suppose we can at least take heart that they didn't charge the Bolts for a timeout!

And by all means pick up the new Metallica! It effin' rocks! I haven't found a song yet that I dislike. Go get it. Target had it for $9.98! Bargoon, baby!